Daniel Morris, the social network’s lead for mobile games partnerships, revealed Facebook’s 2014 choices for best new games, best mobile games, staff favorite games and Hall of Fame games in a post on the Facebook developer blog, as well as offering details on Hot Games and tags, two ways the social network is making game discovery easier for its users.
Morris wrote on Hot Games and tags:
Our goal is to make it easier for every player to find the games that interest them, and to keep them coming back to those games for fun and engaging experiences. To help us achieve this, we continue to invest in game discovery and re-engagement opportunities through Facebook games. Our annual lists are one method to help consumers find quality free-to-play games, but we’re also adding some new features to Facebook games to help people find games, such as a Hot Games list and genre tags:
Hot Games: shows which games are quickly growing in popularity on Facebook.
Tags: help people filter and search by different characteristics — i.e. genre, player mode, release date — to find games they are most interested in playing. Tags are shown on the app detail page, as well as called out in a gray tag below each game within Facebook games.
On 2014 Game of the Year Cookie Jam, he wrote:
This colorful matching game proved that the genre is far from over for Facebook. Launching last May and rising to well over 5 million players in only a matter of months, SGN’s sweets-themed title swept all others to become the Game of the Year.
The other winners named by Facebook are listed below, in alphabetical order, complete with details provided by Morris:
2014 Best New Games:
- Bubble Witch 2 Saga: This was a year of successful sequels for King.com, starting off with a revamp of its classic bubble shooter, Bubble Witch Saga.
- Candy Crush Soda Saga: King.com’s second sequel of the year takes Candy Crush Saga up a notch with dynamic, goal-driven matching designed to rescue gummy bears from drowning in the titular soda.
- Hero Defense: Tower defense games have lasting appeal for Facebook players, and Hero Defense from Shang Game takes it to the next level with a mix of adorable character designs for the various units.
- Kim Kardashian: Hollywood: Glu Mobile‘s runaway mobile game success, starring one of Hollywood’s hottest stars, makes a splash on Facebook among more than 1 million players in just four weeks.
- Klondike: This story-driven city-builder from Vizor Interactive sends players on a quest to rescue a lost gold-digger in a mountainous land.
- League of Angels: This stylish role-playing game from Youzu Interactive features full-fleshed character classes and instantly-familiar gameplay mechanics.
- Old Vegas Slots: This solid slots title from DGN Games continues to see success on both Facebook and mobile.
- Sparta: War of Empires: Another successful game from Plarium, a leader in the strategy genre, Sparta builds on the success of previous titles Stormfall: Age of War and Soldiers Inc. in an antiquity-themed adventure.
- SuperCity: Proving that city-builders are far from over, developer Playkot provides a highly engaging experience for fans of the genre.
2014 Best Mobile Games:
- Boom Beach: Developer Supercell‘s second entry into the strategy category features a lush jungle setting.
- Crazy Taxi: City Rush: The latest in the famed racing game series lets players swerve to avoid obstacles rather than driving the cab directly.
- Disco Bees: An adorable and innovative match-three puzzle game.
- Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff: This game lets players recreate Quahog with familiar characters and buildings from the show.
- Star Wars: Commander: A strategy game set in the Star Wars universe between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.
2014 Staff Favorite Games:
- Cower Defense: A pun-driven tower defense title.
- Dino Hunter: Deadly Shores: A first-person shooter, aimed at dinosaurs.
- OMG! Fortune FREE Slots: A slew of slot machines, scratch cards, bingo and more — all with slick graphics.
- Solitaire 3 Arena: A three-round tournament-style solitaire game.
- Throne Rush: A solid entry in the strategy category on Facebook.
2014 Hall of Fame Games:
- Bingo Blitz: Acquired by Caesar’s Interactive/Playtika Santa Monica some years back, this bingo game has staying power on our platform.
- Caesars Casino: This casino game was the first to launch after Caesar’s Interactive acquired Facebook game developer Playtika, and it’s still going strong.
- Top Eleven Be a Football Manager: One of the first football management sims on Facebook, and still one of the longest-running games.
- Words with Friends: The Scrabble-inspired word game relaunched this year to a whole new audience.
- Zynga Poker: Formerly known as Texas HoldEm Poker, this is one of the oldest games on Facebook and it still draws a crowd.
Readers: How many of these games have you played?