Facebook has today announced its games of the year for 2014, highlighting the best games from the worlds of both Facebook and mobile gaming. The winners were selected based on player ratings, strength of Facebook implementation, growth and overall game quality, while Facebook’s staff also made some selections for the best games they played this year.
The Facebook 2014 Game of the Year honor went to SGN’s Cookie Jam, a match-three, level-based puzzle game that sees players creating matches with specific ingredients in order to complete recipes.
Nine other games were highlighted as the Best New Games of 2014, including two titles from King: Bubble Witch Saga 2 and Candy Crush Soda Saga. In terms of mobile games, Facebook selected a set of five games based on how effectively they use Facebook login. Disney’s popular Star Wars: Commander received a nod in the category, alongside the likes of Supercell’s Boom Beach.
As for the Staff Favorites, the selected games represent a variety of genres, from tower defense and casino to strategy and shooter. Leading mobile and social developer Glu earned a place in this category with its Dino Hunter: Deadly Shores, as well as in the Best New Games category with Kim Kardashian: Hollywood.
Finally, the Hall of Fame category returned for 2014, honoring games that came out before 2014, but were still popular with the Facebook community. Zynga is responsible for two of the five Hall of Fame games: Zynga Poker and Words with Friends.
Here’s a full breakdown of the games in each category, listed alphabetically.
Best New Games of 2014
- Bubble Witch Saga 2 by King
- Candy Crush Soda Saga by King
- Hero Defense by Shang Game Co
- Kim Kardashian: Hollywood by Glu
- Klondike: The Lost Expedition by Vizor Interactive
- League of Angels by Youzu Interactive
- Old Vegas Slots by DGN Games
- Sparta: War of Empires by Plarium
- SuperCity by Playkot
Best Mobile Games of 2014
- Boom Beach by Supercell
- Crazy Taxi: City Rush by SEGA Networks
- Disco Bees by Space Inch / Scopely
- Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff by TinyCo
- Star Wars: Commander by Disney Interactive
- Cower Defense by Bekla Technologies
- Dino Hunter: Deadly Shores by Glu
- OMG! Fortune Free Slots by LuckyFish Games
- Solitaire 3 Arena by Mavenhunt
- Throne Rush by Nexters
2014 Hall of Fame