Facebook said in an email to Social Pro Daily that more people took part in conversations about the three huge shopping days than about Super Bowl LI in February.
On Facebook, 90 million people generated 226 million interactions about Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday, while 52 million people on Instagram generated 143 million interactions about the three shopping days.
Although Black Friday and Cyber Monday are seen as the two most prominent shopping days, mentions of Small Business Saturday actually beat out those of Cyber Monday, and Facebook said two of the top hashtags on Instagram over the weekend were #ShopSmall and #ShopLocal.
Other findings that Facebook revealed to Social Pro Daily included:
- There were more than 450 million views over the weekend on Facebook of videos related to Black Friday and similar topics.
- Black Friday conversation on Facebook and Instagram was driven by women between 35 and 54.
- Men between 18 and 34 were more likely to discuss Cyber Monday.
- More than one-third of Instagram business profiles posted Instagram Stories during the holiday weekend.
- The top five shopping-related hashtags on Facebook and Instagram over the weekend were: #BlackFriday, #CyberMonday, #SmallBusinessSaturday, #ShopSmall and #ShopLocal.
- The three most engaged states on Facebook were Kentucky, Indiana and Tennessee.