Just six months after reaching 500 million monthly active users, Instagram has topped the 600 million mark.
The Facebook-owned photo- and video-sharing network provided the following timeline illustrating its growth:
- Oct. 6, 2010: Instagram founded
- Dec. 21, 2010: 1 million users
- Sept. 26, 2011: 10 million users
- April 9, 2012: 30 million users
- Nov. 6, 2012: 80 million users
- Feb. 26, 2013: 100 million users
- March 25, 2014: 200 million users
- Dec. 10, 2014: 300 million users
- Sept. 22, 2015: 400 million users
- June 21, 2016: 500 million users
- Dec. 15, 2016: 600 million users
Instagram said in a blog post:
A lot has changed this year, but the Instagram community and the diversity of expression it provides has remained consistent. And you now have more ways to share than ever before with Instagram Stories, live video and disappearing photos and videos in Direct. Additionally, with updated safety tools that give you more control over comments and other parts of your experience, we’re working to make Instagram safer than ever for connection and self-expression.
Readers: How soon will Instagram reach 700 million MAUs?