Dorsey said in a tweet, “This is one tool to close the wealth and income gap, level systemic race and gender inequalities and create economic security for families.”
MGI said on its website, “Economic insecurity isn’t a new challenge or a partisan issue. Wealth and income inequality, which have long plagued our country, continue to grow. Even prior to the pandemic, people who were working two and three jobs still couldn’t afford basic necessities. Covid-19 has only further exposed the economic fragility of most American households, and has disproportionately impacted Black and Brown people. This is our New Deal moment: Everyone deserves an income floor through a guaranteed income.”
The mayors in the coalition are:
- Ras Baraka, Newark, N.J.
- Steve Benjamin, Columbia, S.C.
- Keisha Lance Bottoms, Atlanta
- Aja Brown, Compton, Calif.
- Melvin Carter, St. Paul, Minn.
- Jenny Durkan, Seattle
- Eric Garcetti, Los Angeles
- Robert Garcia, Long Beach, Calif.
- Chokwe Antar Lumumba, Jackson, Miss.
- Alex Morse, Holyoke, Mass.
- William Peduto, Pittsburgh
- Adrian Perkins, Shreveport, La.
- Satya Rhodes-Conway, Madison, Wis.
- Libby Schaaf, Oakland, Calif.
- Michael Tubbs, Stockton, Calif.
- Victoria Woodards, Tacoma, Wash.