We missed Evander Holyfield by a day, but there was plenty of action to keep our attention in Michael’s jam-packed dining room today. Between the surprise birthday party for Hearst Magazines president Cathie Black on Table One, a smattering of fashionistas, and the bumper crop of beauty industry bigwigs holding court here and there, I suspect there was a fair share of business being done between bites of Cobb Salad. I noticed another interesting trend from my usual perch at the bar: This crowd really likes their cocktails. “For some reason, we are doing a lot of different drinks today,” said my friend Melinda, the bartender. Besides serving up some Shirley Temples, Melinda poured Pernod, Bellinis and Danish Murrays (That’s Aquavit and Bloody Mary mix). One diner who sat down promptly at noon ordered a Johnnie Walker Black on the rocks straight away. It beats iced tea, I guess. Bottoms up!
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd:
1. Hearst Magazines president Cathie Black celebrating with a table full of media mavens (and plenty of presents!), including Harper’s Bazaar publisher Valerie Salembier and power players Jeannette Chang (long time, no see!), Michael Clinton, Ellen Levine and Donna Lagani.
2. Peter Brown, Paige Peterson and a handsome young gent.
3. ‘Mayor’ Joe Armstrong and George Stevens. I was thrilled to see the mayor at his regular perch after his recent trip to Austin, where he’s joined the board of his alma mater, the University of Texas. (He got both his law and journalism degrees there.) Joe was staying with his good pal Lance Armstrong, who, he told me, will be competing in this year’s Tour de France and saddling up for the major ‘Tour’ race in Italy. Lance has completely “bounced back” from his shattered collarbone, reports Joe. Just thought you’d like to know…
4. Leonard Lauder and two well-dressed gals we didn’t recognize …
5. Stan Shuman and another distinguished gent.
6. Estee Lauder’s new CEO Fabrizio Freda with William Lauder, Lauder’s public relations maven Alexandra Trower and Elle‘s editor Robbie Myers and publisher Carol Smith. Second shift — just for dessert: Law & Order SVU‘s Richard Belzer and Bonnie Timmerman.
7. Hamilton South
8. Two dapper gents: New York Social Diary‘s David Patrick Columbia and Randy Jones
9. Michael J. Wolf and Bonnie Fuller
11. Rick Stengel
12. Nick Simunek
14. Hallmark channel honcho Henry Schleiff with Jennifer Geisser and the network’s EVP of programming, David Kenin.
15. Showtime’s main man Matt Blank and Gourmet publisher Nancy Cardone. Matt is having quite the busy week: Tomorrow night, he’s off to the premiere of 9 to 5 (He’s a producer). Give our regards to Dolly…
16. The ‘Imber Gang’: Dr. Gerald Imber, Jerry Della Femina, Jeff Greenfield, Andy Bergman and Michael Kramer.
17. Judy Price , who is up and around despite having taken a nasty fall last week. Glad to see you’re on the mend!
18. Mike Ovitz and a bespectacled, dark-haired fellow.
19. Maureen Reidy
20. Michael Fireman and power luncher extraordinaire Bonnie Timmerman
21. Chris Taylor
22. Bill Ford and Eileen Ford. The legendary modeling maven looked lovely in her kelly green jacket and navy blue Belgian loafers — some things never go out of style. Classic!
23. Jerry Inzerillo
24. Martin Puris
25. Peter Price (Loved the preppy pink and green shirt and tie combo!)
26. Lynn Nesbitt
27. Showtime’s spin-meister Stu Zakim presiding over his regular ‘Boy’s Lunch.’ In attendance: Sirius XM Radio’s Patrick Riley, Peter Himler, the MPA’s Howard Polskin, NBC’s Kevin Goldman and special guest, Time Warner’s Ed Adler. Stu had to duck out early today, and it’s no wonder considering he’s got a very full plate these days. We can’t wait for the June 2 premiere party for Edie Falco’s new series, Nurse Jackie. Thanks for the invite …
Publish date: April 29, 2009 https://stage.adweek.com/digital/lunch-happy-birthday-cathie-black/ © 2020 Adweek, LLC. - All Rights Reserved and NOT FOR REPRINT