Pinterest teamed up with Airbnb to help Pinners plan their spring and summer getaways.
Pinterest wrote in a blog post introducing the travel guide, “Pinterest will spark inspiration and help you discover new places to go, while Airbnb will provide your home away from home for an unforgettable experience. Take a look at our insights below, including nature travel, space travel and everything in between.”
The two companies then shared some of their findings. Highlights include:
- Getting back to your roots: Pinterest searches for nature travel were up 88 percent in January compared with January 2018, while in March, Airbnb searches were up 539 percent year-over-year for nature, 367 percent for meditation and 655 percent for hiking.
- Out-of-this-world experiences: Searches for space travel on Pinterest were up 70 percent in January compared with the year-ago month, while Airbnb said it has almost 3,000 homes listed that are equipped with telescopes.
- Thrill seekers: Pinterest searches for adventure travel are up 693 percent in January versus January 2018, including swimming holes (up 260 percent year-over-year), abandoned amusement parks (185 percent), cave diving (143 percent) and surprise destinations (192 percent). Airbnb said it is also seeing more searches for adventure- and passion-based travel, noting that it teamed up with the World Surf League in 2016 to unlock some 10,000 surfing-related experiences worldwide.
- Bargain hunters: Searches for budget travel on Pinterest were up 64 percent year-over-year in January. And according to Airbnb internal data as of March 4, cities where the average per-night cost for bookings is below $75 include: Bologna, Italy; Busan, South Korea; Ottawa, Ontario; Rio de Janeiro; and Bali, Indonesia.
- Green: Searches for sustainable travel on Pinterest were up 56 percent from January through September 2018 compared with the same period in the prior year.
- Bring the dog: Pinterest searches for dog-friendly vacations were up 146 percent in January compared with January 2018, and Airbnb said it has more than 1.3 million pet-friendly listings across the globe.
- Tropical: Airbnb said destinations seeing the most year-over-year growth in bookings for March 1 through April 29 are: Monterrey, Mexico (678 percent); Carolina, Puerto Rico (643 percent); Santos, Brazil (432 percent); San Juan, Puerto Rico (392 percent); and Dapa, Philippines (380 percent). And Pinterest said searches in January for cold to warm travel outfits were up 152 percent year-over-year.