Twitter introduced its Twitter Lite streamlined mobile web experience for users with poor connectivity in April, and the social network is now testing it in Android application form.
According to the Google Play listing, the Android Twitter Lite app:
- Loads quickly on 2G and 3G networks.
- Minimizes data usage with a data saver mode that downloads only images or videos the user wishes to views.
- Takes up less space, with an install size under 3 megabits.
- Is compatible with devices supporting Android versions 5.0 and above.
- Provides access to standard Twitter features including timeline, Explore, messages, profiles and notifications.
Twitter confirmed to Social Pro Daily that it is testing a Twitter Lite Android app in the Philippines, with a spokesperson saying via email, “Our goal with the launch of the Twitter Lite mobile web experience in April 2017 was to make Twitter more accessible to millions of people. Over the past six months, Twitter Lite users have appreciated the better, faster, cheaper access to Twitter by using up to 70 percent less data, taking up less than 1 MB in size and launching up to 30 percent faster, especially in emerging markets around the world. The test of the Twitter Lite app in the Google Play Store in the Philippines is another opportunity to increase the availability of Twitter in this market.”