YouTube announced the release of a new YouTube TV application built specifically for TV devices.
According to Ikhena, “in the next few days,” Android TV devices that will support the new YouTube TV app include Nvidia Shield; TVs with Android built in, such as those from Sony; and the Sony Xbox One family of devices (Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X soon).
And in the coming weeks, the app will be launched on smart TVs—including those from LG, Samsung and Sony—as well as Apple TV.
YouTube also launched voice commands with Google Home paired with Chromecast.
Ikhena said new features in the app include:
- The ability to control the live TV experience via television sets’ remote controls or game controllers.
- A dark background on TVs for “a more cinematic look.”
- A new live guide designed for the big screen.
- A background playback experience built for the big screen.
- Users can continue viewing content on other devices from the point where they left off.
He wrote, “If you love the simplicity of finding your favorite content on the mobile app, you’ll be happy to know that you’ll still find our signature tabs on the TV app, as well—home, live and library. Finding, playing and recording your favorite live TV is as simple as before.”